GREAT ADVICE

 

TBF MENTORS | JULY 2014 | CHARLOTTE

Over 150 women entrepreneurs joined us for an Elizabeth Street Capital mentoring event event in Charlotte. Read our mentors’ advice here.

 

 

 

Great Advice

 

 

DIANNE CHIPPS BAILEY

Attorney, Robinson, Bradshaw & Hinson

 

"At the intersection of personal passion and the world's need awaits your greatest opportunity.”

 

 

JOANNE O’BRIEN BEAM

Chief Development Officer & Director of Non-Degree Programs, Wake Forest University Charlotte Campus

 

“Every business owner needs a board of advisers, whether formal or informal. It is important to have people whom you trust, but you need them to give you honest advice.“

 

 

CASSIE BROWN

Chief Experience Officer, TCG Events

 

“One of women's greatest strengths is our ability to communicate, to network, to create bonds that pay off in business relationships. The most effective way to leverage that strength is via face-to-face meetings and events, which don’t have to be generic extravaganzas. Your company reflects who you are — make sure your events do the same.”

 

 

PATTY COMER

Principal Partner, AccruePartners

 

“Have a budgeted plan and work based on the resources you have. Set reasonable expectations — things don’t come overnight.”

 

 

SHERRÉ DEMAO

CEO & Strategy Maestro, SLD Unlimited Biz Growth Inc.

 

“Growth companies are always challenging the status quo, whether it’s trendsetting or trend-getting, repackaging or segmenting.... They understand that competitive advantage is a matter of unwavering focus and being the one to do it first or to do it better.”

 

 

DEE DIXON

CEO & Publisher, Pride Communications

 

“Never forget: We're in business to make money — and hopefully, a profit!”

 

 

SHERESE DUNCAN

CEO, Effició Inc.

 

“You should be passionate and believe in what you do, but if you want a profitable cash-rich business, that passion has to lie in your definition of money."

 

 

CLARY HILLIARD GRAY

Co-Owner, Hilliard Studio Method

 

“Surround yourself with supportive people who believe in your business as much as you do.”

 

 

LIZ HILLIARD

Creator & Owner, Hilliard Studio Method

 

“Passion is the driving force for success. Love it, dream it and eat it for breakfast. Embrace your innate power to succeed and don't worry about failure.”

 

 

BRILES JOHNSON

Director, The Women’s Business Center of North Carolina

 

“Keep your head up and stay grounded; have fun and keep learning and growing. And be kind to everyone — it’s a small big world.”

 

 

MOIRA LOCASCIO

CEO, McLaughlin Young Group

 

“No matter the challenges you face, remain an optimist.”

 

 

JENNIFER MAIER

President & CEO, WDS Inc.

 

“Welcome opportunities to step out of your comfort zone — you will grow personally and professionally. Every thing you do out of the norm, whether it’s networking or delivering a speech, will be positive for your journey.”

 

 

AMY NOLAND PACK

Principal Partner, AccruePartners

 

“As your business grows realize that you have to adapt, change and own it!”

 

 

LEEANN SHATTUCK

Chief Car Chick, Women’s Automotive Solutions

 

“You are going to fail about 80% of the time. But it’s how you face those failures and what you do with the other 20% that defines you — and ultimately determines your success.”

 

 

LINDA STANLEY

Senior Vice President, Market Executive, North and South Carolina, Bank of America Merrill Lynch

 

“Follow your passion and stay true to yourself.”

 

 

JOAN ZIMMERMAN

CEO, Southern Shows Inc.

 

“Never stop learning. Keep watching and listening.”